Domestic EPC

Energy Performance Certificates

All domestic and residential properties in the UK must have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) in place if they are to be sold or rented out.

An EPC is also a good indicator for a homeowner as to where energy improvement measures could be installed in their home and how they could save you money on your energy bills.

What is an EPC?

Think of the sticker with the coloured chart that you now get on every new appliance you buy.  This tells you how energy efficient an appliance is.  It’s exactly the same for a property, an EPC tells you exactly how energy efficient it is and how much it will cost to heat and light.  It will also tell you the carbon emissions of a property.

The ratings range from G, a property that is extremely inefficient, to A, a property that is very efficient.  The document will also show you how energy efficient a property could be and the measures you would need to take to get there.

Once lodged, an EPC is valid for 10 years.

When do you need an EPC?

  • When you come to sell a property it must have a valid EPC in place.
  • If you want to rent out a property you must have a valid EPC in place.  It must also attain a certain level.  See MEES 2018.
  • When applying for a feed in tariff (FIT) or a renewable heat incentive (RHI).
  • As part of a Green Deal.
  • If you would like to ascertain which energy saving measures would be best suited to your property.

Who produces EPCs?

Only an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor can complete a survey and produce a valid Energy Performance Certificate.

If you would like to see the accreditation details of an assessor see the EPC Register.

If you would like further information, have a look at the folowing articles.

What does an assessor do in your house?

How does an assessor record their data?

For all other services provided by EPC Bromley, see the menus above.